' They Call Me June: August 10, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009

August 10, 2009



Holly Smokes! Do you know what this day means? I have a child who is now eligible to be part of our public school system! Wow! I was really anxious and nervous for days leading up to the big morning. Karsten, on the other hand, couldn't have cared. Every time someone asked him if he was excited, he said "um, yeah, I guess". I'm glad that he wasn't nervous or scared though, that would have made it even harder for me!



As I've mentioned before, I have fabulous neighbors and two of them have kids going to Kindergarten at Carol Rae. Taylor actually ended up in Karsten's class and Chandler's room is right across the hall from Karsten and Taylor. The three families decided to drive up together to take the kids to school.







We were late; I'm never late, I can't believe we were late! We walked Karsten to to his room and his teacher was showing each child where they needed to sit. All the parents, were just standing at the front of the room; I could see the heartbreak in each mother's eyes as they stared at their little babies, just sitting there, in big kid chairs . . .



We were excused by his teacher, and Karsten's little mouth started to tremble and his eyes got watery, and just then, Marky went right to him, told him a quick joke in his ear, gave him a hug and kiss, and a smile started to spread across Karsten's face. Thank goodness for my husband!



It wasn't until I was in the car that I started crying . . . and by the time we got home, I was sobbing. It wasn't the class of Kindergarten, it's the responsibility and challenges of the grade that had me so choked up. I knew there wasn't someone going to be with him, every second of the day, doing things for him, he will now have to be responsible for doing things himself. It's a lot for one mama to process.

Karsten had so much fun and I think we are going to have a great year. It's a new chapter in our lives, a big transition. We are lucky to have two great families to share all this with, it has been such a blessing going through this with them. Now I just have to to come to terms that I am a mother who has a school aged kid! :)

1 comment:

The Larrabee Family said...

You are such a great mama I loved reading your blog I will be there in a few years too when Luke starts K. I can't believe how fast time goes by. The pictures are great. He will have a wonderful year!

Top